20+ Ideas For Frugal Self-Care
There are several priorities in life I value. Among these priorities are kindness, family, contributing to the world, working smart (and budgeting smart), loving others, and self-care. While I try to approach life with a thoughtful, joyful, and frugal lens, sometimes it feels like a lot of high-caliber experiences cost money.
Frugal Self-Care Honors All of My Priorities
Small aside on why Self-Care is worth every second. Simply, you deserve it. I have found I am a better partner, worker, friend, family member, citizen, and person when I love myself. Self-Care is one of the most impactful ways I have found to practice compassion for myself.
Some of the approaches I list below on practicing Self-Care made me feel silly when I first started consciously trying to incorporate them into my day-to-day. The good news is, no one has to know you’re doing these things! These things can happen in private moments, when no one is watching. It doesn’t matter if you feel silly! It’s a moment with yourself, and you may find you are more fascinating than you ever imagined.
One of My Go-To’s: The Frugal Self-Care Trifecta!
A hot bath (using Epsom salts), guided meditation, and cup of tea! I can’t tell you how much I adore this ritual I indulge in at least once a week. These things are solid as stand-alone approaches, but when their powers unite—no words! Youtube has a bunch of guided meditations to choose from. Just search “guided meditation” or “guided meditation + whatever topic you want to be inspired by.” It is well worth the time to experiment and find a meditation or channel you like. Though the hot bath uses a lot of water, and the tea and Epsom salts cost money, these small prices are well worth it to me.
Other Frugal Self-Care Strategies
- Take a walk (bonus points if you incorporate your breathing)
- Listen to music
- Google “Noble Silence” and give it a shot for a few minutes
- Read a good book (bonus points if it’s from your library!)
- Have a conversation with someone
- Spend time looking at the sky
- Schedule a date with yourself
- Call or schedule a date with someone you haven’t seen in a while
- Sleep in or take a nap
- Focus on your breathing
- Clean your house with the mindset that you are loving and honoring your home
- Fly a kite (it gets you outside, you can be childish, you only need a kite and the outdoors!)
- Look at cute pictures of animals
- Write a gratitude list
- Look for inspirational or positive quotes online
- Color in a coloring book
- Exercise (even if it’s some jumping jacks and a jog around the block.)
- Look in the mirror and say: “I love you and I am proud of you.”
- Consciously give yourself permission to be a human and feel any and all feelings
The Best Investment You Can Make Is In Yourself
While massages, the spa, or a day at the golf course are wonderful things, you can take care of yourself at any moment throughout the day—frugally!
Some of these things might not be up your alley. No problem! Do what is up your alley. These practices are beneficial when we are having any kind of day or moment. They are called practices, because we practice them. We aren’t perfect, and we don’t have to do a single thing perfectly, including any of the above suggestions. However, if you are having an especially challenging moment, maybe try something you wouldn’t normally try. See what happens! You have nothing to lose.
Did I miss anything? Feel free to add in the comments how you practice Self-Care Frugally!